Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

Sometimes-etarian.

So Bry and I are (once again) trying to eat less meat.  This was easy to do in California, where we were pretty much too poor to eat meat, at least on a daily basis.  Now that we're rolling in dough (HA!) we have been eating more; specifically, chicken.  We want to get the healthy, organic chicken, but it's so pricey out here (around $7/pound, sometimes more).  So we're just trying to eat less meat.

When we were in California, that meant a LOT of brown rice and beans.  Now we're branching out a bit more.  Also, I'm obsessed with quinoa.  Loooots of quinoa.

Anyways, here are three recipes I've made this week that I recommend:

Quinoa and Black Bean Lettuce Wraps

source
I added chopped tomato, green onion, cilantro, and lime juice.  This was a HUGE HIT with the hubs and I, as well as our friends who are vegetarians.  I recommend making the quinoa in your rice cooker, and just adding everything and mixing it together there (easier to clean up).


Cucumber Boats

source
Not bad, and I don't even like cottage cheese.  Nice and light, though, and very refreshing on a warm day.  Plus, my basil plants are actually doing pretty darn well, so I was able to grab some fresh basil from my end table garden!


Quinoa Burger

source
 These were quite yummy indeed!  I served them on whole wheat buns with bib lettuce, cucumber, and Swedish-style dill mustard.  SO delicious.  


So there you are, three easy vegetarian recipes that we've been enjoying a lot.  Earlier this week, my friend Danny made us some amazing cheese tortellinis in a Portabello cream sauce that was SO GOOD, if not super rich.  Yikes.  I have a feeling that vegetarian recipe isn't exactly healthy, but dang did it taste good.




1 comment:

  1. Those look really good. I read that eating quinoa with brazil nuts and raw onions was suppose to help you lose weight. Since my tummy can't do onions, I've just been seasoning the quinoa and toasting the nuts and it's pretty good. Not losing weight though. Maybe not eating ice cream would help with that...

    ReplyDelete