Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Really Glad We Live in Jackson

A lot of my coworkers/friends live in Star Valley, about an hour south of Jackson.  It's not a commute that I would be remotely interested in, but they're able to afford homes there, and there's a bit more space.  However, there was a FRIGGIN HUGE mudslide yesterday that turned into a landslide (cue Fleetwood Mac) and now the road looks like this:

source
Yeah.  So now if you want to go from Star Valley to Jackson, you normally would take this route:


View Larger Map

It takes just a bit more than an hour.

Annnnnnnd now you have to take this route:


View Larger Map


That's over 2 hours, WITHOUT traffic.  I'm super bummed for my friends who have to make this new commute... and really happy that we live in Jackson.

My commute?



View Larger Map


1 mile.


UPDATE:  This is the slide today, 5/18/11.  They're going to wait until it naturally stabilizes and then it will take up to a week to clean up.  So yeah.  May be closed for two weeks.  Right in time for tourist season.

source

5 comments:

  1. lol, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your route to work was "show-off", but then I realised that I live even closer to work and from time to time like telling people how nice and easy my commute is.

    I can only imagine how awful it must be having to spend 4 hours a day driving, that's 1/6th of your day just gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that new picture is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So when are they thinking the roadwork will be done? Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. The road opened last week, I think? But it's all gravely.

    ReplyDelete