Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Talkin' Bout My Naughty Bits

I went in for my annual today at Gros Ventre OB-GYN.  First of all, I love them.  Everyone is so darn nice and adorable.  Doesn't feel grossy clinical at all.  WAY more comfy than Open Door (where I worked in California).

I haven't had an annual in two and a half years.  Bad, bad Jessers (as Bryan would say).  But I KNEW I needed to be seen, and I've had some discomfort in my left breast, so this was as good of a time as any.

The gal I saw, Christina M. (I won't write her whole name in case people Google her... that's weird), is the FN-P there.  She is AWESOME.  So friendly, so nice, really puts you at ease.  I wish she delivered babies, because I would totally want her to deliver our kids when we decide to have them.  Alas, she does not.

We chatted about my weird boob and she checked it and said everything was fine, which was GREAT news.  I haven't been to the doctor in a year but I have a pretty strong history of hypochondria/anxiety when it comes to health issues.  I've really be good the last year (hence not seeing a doctor in a year, instead of seeing on once a month or so) and I was happy to hear that there is nothing to be concerned about.  She also let me know that when breast cancer is suspected, it feels like a hard marble that's stuck to your chest wall... and that I would most likely go "what the heck is THAT?!"  That's comforting; although I do not have breast cancer on either side of the family, it's always good to be diligent about breast exams.  You heard me ladies!!  Check out your boobies!!



We chatted about my birth control method (Natural Family Planning/Fertility Awareness Method) and she didn't question me about it for a second, just trusted that it's worked for the past year and a half.  That was really nice; some people question me on it, think I'm being silly, think it's the same as the "Rhythm Method" in the 80's (it's TOTALLY not).  I told her my cycles weren't totally regular, but that I was taking Yogi Tea's Women's Energy to help balance my hormones and make my cycle regular.  She was all for that, which was cool.

In the end, she mentioned doing some labwork to check out my weird cycles.  She said that it may be possible that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) even though I don't have weird hair growth or any male characteristics.  She said for some people who only have a slight case of PCOS (or something like that) just have weird, longer cycles and have difficulties losing weight.  That definitely made me curious.  She asked how often I exercise and I told her that I work out 4 times a week and that I don't eat white bread and almost always eat whole grains.  She mentioned labwork, including a workup that normally costs $800!!!!  However, since I work for the hospital, she told me it was FREEEEEEEEE.  So she ordered like $1000 in tests for me, totally free to me.  SO AWESOME.  Hopefully they'll see if we're dealing with PCOS or possible a small growth on my pituitary gland or possibly nothing at all.  My hormones may just be a bit wacky.  But the weird cycles + difficulty losing weight + migraines/headaches are indications that something may be wrong.  If I DO have something like PCOS, it may mean that I'll have some difficulties with fertility, or it may not.  We'll just have to see.

Oh, and just fyi... Bryan and I have decided that 2012 is a good year to try to get pregnant.  HOWEVER, I would like to lose 20lbs before we attempt to conceive.  So, that leaves me with a good 9 months or so to lose 20lbs, or a little more than 1/2 pound a week.  I think that should be doable, especially since I will be walking to work this summer since there is NO WAY that I'm going to drive through the center of Jackson in the summer.  NO WAY.  And it's way further to go around town square, since we're really close to it.  So that gives me at least 2 miles of walking a day, on top of any exercise I do elsewhere.

And Bryan and I just started P90x... so hopefully that helps out a bit!

So that's my news about my naughty bits.  I won't be getting any of the tests done for another few weeks, since it has to line up with my cycle.  I'll let you know when I get the results!

3 comments:

  1. Let me know when you find out the results! I found out I have PCOS last December after months of not menstruating and my testosterone levels were through the roof. I just had more lab work done last week and am waiting for those results. I really hope the answers will help me loose weight too, have babies and all that good stuff! (Fingers crossed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit - I will definitely let you know when I find out! I have like seven tests ordered, all supposed to either figure out if I have PCOS or a growth on my pituitary or something totally different, I guess... We'll see. She mentioned that people with PCOS tend to have problems conceiving, but I never actually SKIP a period, I just occasionally have late ones. And I know I'm ovulating every month, so I'm hoping that when we decide to try for a kiddo we'll be alright; I hope the same for you and Dustin!

    One thing I totally recommend for getting your period a bit under control is the tea I mentioned above, Women's Energy by Yogi Tea. Don't use it if you're trying to conceive, as it's not good for a baby, but if you're just trying to regulate your periods, the dong quai in it works really well. Just don't take it at night because the stinging nettle keeps me awake (there's no caffeine, but it does give me some energy). Let me know when you get your results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely look into that tea, Thanks. While it's hard to complain about NEVER getting my period, I know I need to. haha

    ReplyDelete