Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

You sure do put the "FUN" in Fundamentalist!

I'm feeling a bit frustrated right now.  Perhaps frustrated is not the word.  Discouraged?  Yeah, I think that's it.

Bryan and I love Jackson, but the more and more we look at churches the more discouraged I become.  Right now there is ONE church I would feel comfortable going to, and I'm not sure how much I would love that church, either.  I know several women who go to the church, and it makes me question if I want to attend.  Not that every person who goes to a church is an accurate representation of the church, but still.  I was told the following from them today.

"Well you know, socialized medicine will mean that people will be dying while waiting in lines."
I replied, "But don't you think that health care is a human right, and not a privilege?"
"Well, I think that if we have socialized health care people will be dying while waiting in lines."
"Well, people are dying right now because they don't have insurance and cannot afford to go to the doctors for preventable diseases."  Silence.

"Jessica, I think the reason you didn't get that job is because of affirmative action.  They probably thought you were the best for the position but that had to hire a minority." 
"No, I'm sure they just hired someone with more experience who they thought would be better for the job."
"I bet they hired a minority."
"Technically, as a woman, I'm considered a minority.  I'm sure they hired the best person for the job." 
"Well, I'm not so sure."

AHHH!!  It's frustrating, to say the least.  I miss Catalyst.  I miss going to a church and feeling supported by a group of believers who didn't consider me a heretic because I believe in evolution (yes, I believe that God creates using science, which was sort of his idea in the first place... not that I think creationism vs evolutions should even be a big deal at all!!  It isn't!!!!) or because I think women have the right to be heard in church (HECK YES I DO!!).  It's just wearing me out.  I'm seriously considering putting an ad out in the Jackson Hole Radio's classified section:  "ANYONE WANT TO TALK ABOUT JESUS/GOD AND DOES NOT WATCH FOX NEWS?"  or perhaps "If you think Rob Bell is the AntiChrist, you can ignore this.  If you think he's sort of interesting, well, then, cool.  How do you feel about C.S. Lewis?  Do you like dialogue and discussing things like civil rights, healthcare, the concept of "jubilee" and God's love?  Do you think Isaiah 1:17 is ignored in too many churches? Maybe you should come to my house for a cup of tea and some ice cream and we'll talk about stuff." 

I'm just discouraged.  I'm worried about winter, and about finding friends.  I don't necessarily need a church, but I would love to be a part of a community of people that love God and want to talk about it.

I guess I sort of want a different KIND of tea party.  One where there's actually tea.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, love the title of this one.

    It's tough finding a church like Catalyst. That's kind of why Dave and I just stopped going. Not because we wouldn't go necessarily, if we found one worth attending. But just because all the ones around here suck. I'm tired of driving down the street and seeing giant signs for "GLENN BECK COMING TO CHICAGO!" on the sides of church buildings. It's super lame and really doesn't promote closeness or dialogue at all.

    We talked about maybe starting our own little church - like meeting in a bar once a week. But neither one of us felt like it was something we could really do successfully, and we didn't have the time to really devote to a project like that. So right now we're just kind of floating. Maybe someday we'll find something. But probably not.

    Hope you guys have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan and I haven't gone to church since April, and I do really miss it quite a lot. I'm not really okay with just NOT going to church or not having something like a Life Group or whatever. It's just something that I feel like I really need in my life, not only to have my own personal beliefs but to be in dialogue/conversation with people about common/different beliefs.

    I'm hoping we figure something out, whether or not it's church or just having a group of like 6 people or something over to our house to talk about beliefs. But I know that I need SOMETHING more than what we're doing right now.

    I wish you guys had a Catalyst by you - it was super awesome to have such a great place to worship and to be around great people. It was so positive for us. I wish there were more churches like that... you know... like in Jackson...

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope you find something soon! I know how frustrating that can be...when we first moved here we went to like 4 or 5 churches before we found Life. We weren't even out the door and were like...this is where we want to be. I hope you find something like that...in the meantime there are some weirdos out there! lol

    ReplyDelete