Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Interviews, Interviews, Interviews

I'm supposed to have today off, but unfortunately have to cover for the other office worker in a couple of hours.  Thankfully it will only be a four hour shift, so it still sort of feels like a day off.  I dropped off a thank you note to the call who interviewed me at the bank on Friday, and I just scheduled an interview at a local urgent care on Wednesday.  The bank position is for a teller, and the urgent care position is for a medical receptionist.  I think I'd do well at either one, but I haven't heard much about the medical receptionist job as of yet.

I think the thing I've learned most about this process is that I'm not as great as I think I am.  Before now, I've never NOT been offered a job at the end of an interview, or very soon afterward.  I have to wait now, hoping they like me enough.  I'm sure part of it is the economy, but I think another big part of it is that there are so many well-educated people in their 20's and 30's here in Jackson.  I'm not at all special for having a degree.  In fact, almost everyone I work with at the float trip company has a college education; they just aren't using it.

I've really had to swallow my pride about this.  There's a part of me that wants to say "Hellllo, obviously I'm the right hire, I've always gotten hired right away!"  But there are a lot of other people out there who are just as qualified as me and have such as much experience.  I'm learning this slowly but surely.

As for right now, I still have 4 more days of work, and then I'll file for unemployment until I get a job.  That's not exactly the worst thing in the world that could happen.  We'll have to see how it goes; I'm hoping to be working in a week or two, and by November 1st at the latest.  One very nice thing from today:  when I dropped off the thank you note at the bank, the gal who interviewed me looked genuinely thankful and surprised that I would write a note.  That's a good sign, isn't it?

Isn't it?

Or am I not being humble again?  The stationery WAS really cute.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

  1. I know how frustrating that can be. When Dave and I were looking for jobs last year, we were applying literally everywhere we could think of, and people just weren't calling us back. Not even McDonalds (Mickey D's, don't kid yourself, your employment pool can't be THAT competitive). A large part of it is the economy - people can be picky about who they choose, because everyone's looking for work. So many of the tellers that used to work under me had degrees, and they were competing hardcore for a job that barely paid above min. wage. One of the guys I knew had a degree from Dartmouth.

    It's a tough time to be just out of college and looking for a job.

    ReplyDelete