Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chicken Soup

Bryan and I try REALLY hard not to buy meat that isn't organic/grass-fed.  But it happens every so often.  Earlier this week we bought a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for dinner because we had almost no food in the house.  We picked at it for a few days and then it sat there for a couple days more.  And then, I made some delicious chicken soup.

To make this chicken soup, I put the entire chicken into the crock pot and cover the top of it with about 3 inches of water.  Then I cook it on high for 6 hours with some fresh herbs (I used rosemary, thyme and sage) as well as some salt and some garlic.  After 6 hours I strain the broth into one bowl and I cut the chicken off the bone, discarding the skin and bones.  I cut it/tear it into bite-sized pieces, then add the broth once more.  Then I take rotini (I like the tri-colored) and let it cook on high for another hour or so, until the noodles are cooked.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

This is definitely the epitome of comfort foods.  I also like to add carrots and other veggies, but like I said, we have very little food in the house, so it was pretty much just chicken noodle soup.  I loooove soup, and this just warms me up from head to toe.  It's also a great recipe that you don't really have to pay attention to; you pop it in the crock pot, walk away, come back, add a bit more, walk away, and you're done!  It's also a good way to stretch your dollars; a rotisserie chicken is usually about $5 and you can usually get at least 1 meal for 2 people, usually two meals, and you'll still have enough meat to make the soup.  And even if you don't, you can make broth from the bones.  It's an inexpensive meal, and you can definitely make it last for a couple of meals.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I love recipes....gives me some ideas : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my girl. We get at least 2 meals out of one of those chickens, and then we get 3 meals out of the soup, because we add chicken broth AFTER we boil the bones to make the original broth.

    ReplyDelete