Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

And I'm back

I just put my folks on a plane about an hour ago.  Bryan went off to work (late start today, the 9:30am trip was canceled due to this rain we've been having the last three days, and no one booked the 1:30pm) and I just got back from the library and the post office.  At the post office I got a lovely letter from a Ms. Kati Standefer, which is always lovely, as well as a dress I let her borrow.  At the library I got a book that was on hold:  "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.  I had read half of it in Humboldt but never finished it, so I'm looking forward to that.

It was really really great to see my family.  I miss them quite a lot.  It's lovely knowing that I'll see my parents, and possibly Dave and Stac, in just a few months when we come through Chicago on our way to Myrtle Beach.  We had a lovely time, despite the rain.  I'll be posting some pictures of the visit throughout the week.

Bryan got a call for an interview with Wells Fargo today; he applied to be a banker, which would be interesting.  I'm not sure he'd love it, but it pays quite well, and it would be full time.  I applied to a social work job with the state of Wyoming in Child Welfare this week that I'm not sure I want... it would be HARD, but it could be amazing as well.  I think I'm afraid to do something that is actually related to my degree because I may hate it, or I may realize that I love it so much that I'll want to get my master's, which I just don't know if I want to do.  I'm also looking to apply to be a legal secretary (could be super interesting!) and to work at a few hotels.  I'm not sure if I want a year-round job or a seasonal job more.  Working at the float trip company is so darn easy, and I'm good at it, and I get paid very well for what I actually do.  So I may want to do it again next year.

Speaking of work.  We hired a girl a couple of weeks ago when two of the other gals left to go to school, and the new girl was very flaky.  She showed up late multiple times and pretty much talked like a Valley girl supposedly talks.  Then she quit.  Then she unquit.  Then she quit again.  All within a week. 

Now that she's gone (woohoo!!) it means I'll have to pick up some hours, which isn't bad, as it's only for a month.  That said, there's a good chance I'll be working 60 hour work weeks for the next month.  Yikes.  The money will be excellent though, and I'm excited about that.

I've been trying to find a way to make money do the thing I love to do: being all crafty.  I had a few ideas for a while but they aren't panning out the way I thought they would originally.  When I calculated how much I'd actually make verses how long it would take, it didn't make sense.  I have another idea that my family is being really supportive of, and we'll see how that goes.  It has definite potential and would be fun to do, plus the profit margin would be pretty nice.  With me not LOVING winter, it will be good to have a 'job' on the side that I can both ENJOY and do at home.

I'm worried about the winter being terribly lonely, but Bryan isn't so worried, and I suppose that is a good thing.  Today is quite cold, about 50 degrees, and it's rainy and cloudy and it makes me more worried about the majority of the year when it's not warm and sunny.  We will see.  I'm trying to accept Bryan's optimism as truth.

This evening I think I'm going to sit down with some yarn and knit a multi-colored scarf.  And that's all I pretty much plan on doing.  I promise tomorrow I will start posting more, including pictures.  Thank you for your patience with me this week!

4 comments:

  1. What kind of job did Bryan apply for? Would he be a teller, or doing more loans/opening accounts? Either one could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He'd be a "personal banker" whatever that means. Apparently getting people hooked up with bank programs, offering new and useful services, that sort of thing. I'm not sure if he'd do loans or open accounts. It's a good job though, and apparently has really good benefits, so we're hoping he gets it so that I can either find year round OR seasonal work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that's pretty much the long and short of it. I have some friends of mine who did that for a while. It has pretty good comission, from what they tell me....you're expected to do a LOT of selling, though. The pressure can be a lot sometimes. Hope he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that's pretty much the long and short of it. I have some friends of mine who did that for a while. It has pretty good comission, from what they tell me....you're expected to do a LOT of selling, though. The pressure can be a lot sometimes. Hope he likes it.

    ReplyDelete