Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Plugged In


I have a very hard time 'doing nothing.'  While waiting for a video to load, I want to text someone, check facebook, or crochet.  I check my phone at least twice an hour on average for texts, I check Facebook multiple times a day, I check blogger.com multiple times a day, I text a lot of my friends... I have a hard time being away from technology and the internet in general.  It's not JUST technology though.  I crochet while watching television because watching television is simply not enough for me.  For a while, I would watch a tv show, use the stair-stepper and PLAY MARIO GALAXY ON WII at the SAME TIME.  Glad I stopped that; it was a bit much.  :-)

I have SUCH a hard time just being.  It seems maddening to me.  I am not good at prayer or meditation.  My thoughts race and I make lists.  I'm sure this multi-tasking behavior is good for my goals/achievements, but I'm sure it is NOT good for my psyche.  Bryan likes to remind me that studies show that people who multi-task don't necessarily get more done, they just do a lot of things inefficiently.  That's possible.  

I have been trying to spend more time doing very little.  Even when I go on runs, it's very difficult for me NOT to listen to music.  The other day I hiked High School Butte without my iPod or a cell phone, and it was actually very fun!  I should try to do one thing at a time more often.

I don't think it's just me.  I think our culture, and women in particular, push "multi-tasking" as a virtue.  It's not necessarily so.  I have a hard time "slowing down" and I often think of things that need to get done, things I could be doing, and so on and so on and so forth.  My brain rarely gets a break; even when I sleep, I tend to have many, many dreams that I remember the next morning.

Tomorrow after work we leave for a backpacking trip, the first REAL backpacking I've ever done.  I won't have a computer, and I know I probably won't be able to use the internet on my cell (at least I shouldn't).  I think it will be a good exercise in simplicity and quiet.  I'm a bit nervous about the 50+ pound pack, especially since my back and shoulders hurt already...  But it will be good.

Am I the only one who feels drawn to multi-tasking?  Who could honestly say, "yep, addicting to multi-tasking, right here."  Or is this a HUGE problem for a lot of people?

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading this post because I'm waiting on InDesign to package a document and for a coworker to get back to me. Oh, irony.

    I'm addicted to multitasking on the computer, for sure. But typically from the hours of 6-11pm I'm very against multitasking. Mostly because I'm drained and I suck at it.

    I actually don't like driving because I can't multitask. I take the train to and from work every day and I'm usually watching a video, reading a blog, writing or sketching in my journal, or reading the local paper all while listening to Pandora. When I'm driving... I can only listen to Pandora. I find I like NPR better for driving because it makes me think too, which is sort of multitasking.

    ReplyDelete