Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Work

Bryan and I were talking today about the future, whether we try to stay in Jackson throughout the winter and into next summer, or if we make a real push to find "professional" jobs.  I'd really like employer-subsidized health insurance again.  That would be nice.

I mentioned that neither of us has every worked a job that required a college degree (even though we both have one).  That's kind of lame.  I also realized that I've never worked a job where I've had to wear anything fancier than jeans and a casual blouse.  That's pretty awesome.

It's hard to know what to push for in this economy.  "Real job" with benefits?  Or seasonal work that's not fancy but is a bit more assured? 

I read an article the other day that mentioned that bachelor's degrees are pretty much obsolete; they no longer guarantee a job.  Master's degrees don't even guarantee a job some places; people with advanced degrees require a higher pay scale, so some places don't want to hire them.  Kind of ridiculous, right?  I never considered NOT going to college - it was a given.  It certainly doesn't do much nowadays though. 

When I was switching majors the end of my sophomore year of college, I considered becoming a radiologist or an ultrasound tech.  I don't know if my chances for a job would have been better or worse.

Anyone else feeling very "bleh" about their college degree?  Don't get me wrong, I like my job, but it does seem ridiculous at times that I still own $17,000 in student loans for a college degree that I can't seem to put to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment