Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Holding Patterns

Well, this is the third week that I've been "unemployed."  My new job in Jackson starts at the beginning of May, but I've been off since March 19th.

And the monotony is driving me crazy.  I didn't realize how much I relied on work to take up my time.  I didn't realize how, as much as I hated my job a lot of the time, it really gave me a bit of fulfillment and the feeling of achievement.

I love hanging out with Bryan's family though; it's a LOT of fun.  I think the difference this time as that I've always been here for an extended period of time on vacation.  This is sort of a vacation, but it feels more like a waiting room.  Waiting for the next thing, waiting for the next move... We've already moved from our apartment in Arcata, California to Keith and Bethany's place in Eureka, California to Bryan's folks place in Idaho.  In less than a week we will be going to Chicago for about two weeks to visit my folks and hopefully see my brother and sister-in-law, as well as some friends.  Then we'll drive up to my family's cottage in Michigan where we'll meet my sister-in-law Amanda and her kiddos GK and Addyson.  I think I'll feel better about being unemployed in Chicago because we have pretty much every day planned out.  Place to be, people to see, things to do.  I like schedules.  They let me know that my time will be well-spent.

That's not to say I haven't done anything while in Idaho.  Like I said, I've really enjoyed spending time with family and relaxing.  I've hung out with our friends Cody and Kendra, who will also be in Jackson this summer.  And I've baked chocolate-orange biscotti, apple crisp, and crocheted a hat.  It's just that daily need to be somewhere at a certain time, and to make MONEY.  Yeah.  That.  I miss that.  Never thought I would!

Last night Bryan took me out on a nice date to the movies and we saw Sherlock Holmes (it was the cheapy theatre where a movie ticket is $2.50!).  I've heard good and bad things about Sherlock Holmes but I must admit, I really enjoyed it!  It was nice to get out of the house for a bit.

So that's where I am right now, in limbo.  Maybe if I gave myself a list of things to do, that would help.  I've gone on two runs this week, and those went pretty well.  I'm going to try to make myself run at least a mile every day for the rest of the week, and see if that helps with some of my nervous energy. 

I found myself thinking today "there's no way I could be a stay at home mom," and then I realized that stay at home moms probably don't get bored, at least when they have little babies.  They're busy feeding, cleaning, washing, napping, repeating... right?  Any stay at home mom's out there?

Ah well.  It's just another week until Chicago and then two weeks until I work again.  I should learn to enjoy it, I know.

1 comment:

  1. I know, being unemployed can drive a person crazy. Even Dave, who never gets antsy, was constantly restless for like, four months. But at least there's the fact that there's an end in sight, that you both have good jobs in a great location to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete