Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Biscotti

I LOVE biscotti. We've had biscotti (store bought or home made) as a fairly regular staple in our house since I was in middle school. I started making it myself about a year or so ago, and I absolutely love it. It's delicious, it's very satisfying to dunk, and when left in an air-tight container, it will stay fresh for up to a month. How great is that?? (note: it will not actually last a month uneaten)

I was in the mood for biscotti earlier this week but I'm trying to watch my calories and fats, so I went online in search of a low-fat biscotti recipe. Most biscotti is low-fat anyways, but some include oil or butter in the recipe. I took this recipe from Epicurious.com and changed it a bit to meet my taste desires.

Instead of Low-Fat Almond-Cinnamon Biscotti, I made Fairly Low-Fat Chocolate Spice Biscotti.

Here's as best of a recipe as I can give you:

  • 3 large organic cage-free eggs
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all purpose organic flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Dash of nutmeg
  • Dash of cardamom
  • Dash of ginger
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Chocolate chips. Dark, milk, white, whatever. About 1/2 cup. Maybe a tad bit more.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease baking sheet. Combine eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract in bowl of heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat until well blended. Mix flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Gradually add to egg mixture, beating until blended (dough will be soft). Mix in chocolate chips.

Turn dough out onto LIGHTLY floured surface and gather together. Now divide dough into two equal sized balls. Roll dough between palms and work surface into a log almost the length of your cookie sheet. Make both about the same size, palming the ends so they're rounded. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Take a bit of sugar and sprinkle it on the top of the logs. Flatten log with hand to 1-inch thickness. Bake until light brown and cracked on top, about 30 minutes. Cool log 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

Transfer warm log to work surface. Using serrated knife, cut log into 1/4- to 1/3-inch-thick slices. If you're feeling fancy, cut on a diagonal. Arrange cut pieces face up on baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes per side. Transfer to racks and cool (biscotti will harden while cooling).

If you're feeling crazy, it's fun to melt chocolate, put it in a Ziplock baggie, cut one of the corners and use it as a decorating tip to drizzle chocolate.

This is what mine looked like when they were done:

And that's my fancy new Eco Cup. With a bit of chocolate on the sides. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment