Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Pioneer Woman

I am a bit obsessed with the Pioneer Woman. Who is the Pioneer Woman, you say? Well click the link and be prepared to be obsessed along with me. She's this gorgeous gal who lives in Oklahoma with her 4 kiddos (she calls them her punks) and her super dreamy rancher husband (who she calls Marlboro Man). She has a hideously romantic story about her and her hubby (seriously, read it, but be prepared to wish your husband/boyfriend/that guy in class that's sexxxay wears chaps), and her kids are adorable, and she's an amazing cook/photographer/homeschooling mama who will charm the pants off you and make you feel inadequate.

But she just seems so darn nice that you really don't care. You also don't care that she's successful and has money for pretty things, and that she has a great body for a mother of 4, and that she does everything better than you.

You try not to care, at least.

(Grumble)

So anyway, I was checking out her website this evening and on her cooking page, she linked to a recipe for Spaghetti Squash. Apparently, this is a real thing.

Has anyone actually HAD spaghetti squash? Did you know that it existed before this blog post? I have never HEARD of such a thing. I'm still trying to make myself like squash, actually. It's not exactly easy, but I've had some really good Korean dishes with a bit of squash, and I've had a really excellent chili with a squash base. It's good for you and it's a bit different, so I'm really trying to like it.

Which brings us to Spaghetti Squash. Seriously?

Well, check out some pictures from the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen blog. This spaghetti squash is from a blogger known as Steamy Kitchen. I like her already! She sounds, to use a Bryan word, sedultry. That's his word for seductive and sultry. It also sounds a bit like adultery, but we'll ignore that.

Onto the pictures!! Once again, all from the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen blog.

Apparently this is a spaghetti squash. Interesting, no?
Apparently it's also really hard and needs to be baked before it will let you cut it open. Looks a bit intimidating to me...

This picture makes me think "ewww squash!"
Buuuut, remove those seeds and you get this:
Look Becca! She's not even TOUCHING it! I knew you'd appreciate that.

Scrape out the insides until it looks like this:
And then you do with the strands as you please! This is how it looks when it's been had some chopped sauteed onions mixed with it with a bit of olive oil, salt, parsley and lemon. And of course a bit of cheese, because, well, COME ON! Everything needs a bit of cheese. :)



Doesn't that look sooooo delicious?! I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Bryan and I are really trying to eat more vegetarian entrees in an effort to trim down a bit and keep nice and healthy. This looks like a great way to eat "pasta" without actually having delicious, wheaty-carby-pasta. I bet if you weren't totally sold on the texture, you could toss it with a bit of angel hair and you wouldn't know the difference!

Delicioso!

3 comments:

  1. Judes totally served us spaghetti squash when I was a kid. And it really is so much like spaghetti. Sometimes we ate it just with a little butter... SO GOOD.

    So glad you're about to experience the joys... let me know what recipes you invent off it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally will!!! I plan on making it and taking pictures to see if mine turns out as good.

    Dude. Bryan made the best food last night. It was so simple, but incredibly delicious.

    Tortilla. Red Kidney beans. Spinach. Monteray Jack Cheese. And a little can of salsa con jalapenos to go everywhere. Fold it in half. Heat it up on a skillet, and OH MY GOSH IT IS DIVINE!!!!! I couldn't believe how yummy it was. I'm going to make the same thing tonight for our life group. We've been eating veggie about 1/2 the time now and I rarely miss the meat! It's a treat when we have it, but most of time time I'm okay without it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a spaghetti squash LOVER! Except I make my husband carve it in half and I scrape out the seeds before cooking. It might cook faster, but it's very hard to cut. SO good. You can eat it with spaghetti sauce, butter, pretty much anything. I like mine with garlic and a strong cheese like gruyere or parmesan. YUM. yum yum yum. If I had a bigger yard I would grow them.

    ReplyDelete