Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

C25K WEEK 3 DAY 3

I have finished the last run of week 3 on C25K!!! I'm officially starting week four on Monday, and I'm both nervous and excited.

My sister Amanda inquired a bit as to what the C25K program does, exactly. So here's a quick overview:

The program is "couch to 5 k" so it starts with the idea that you SUCK at running (which I totally do). It slowly trains your body to be able to run a 5k. C25K is an interval training program, so you switch running and walking to get your body progressively used to running longer times. For most weeks, you run the interval schedule 3 times, with a day of rest in between each run. I try to run on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, but it just depends. Sometimes I take two days off, sometimes one. So here's what I've done so far:

Week 1
Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Five minute cool down walk.

Week 2
Brisk five-minute warm-up walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of running and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Five minute cool down walk.

Week 3
Brisk five-minute warm-up walk, then do two repetitions of the following:
  • Run 90 seconds
  • Walk 90 seconds
  • Run 3 minutes
  • Walk 3 minutes
Then cool down walk (I never actually cool down for 5 minutes though... usually 2-3 instead)

It's a really good program if you have difficulties running more than 3 minutes straight. On Monday I'll start Week 4, which looks like this:

Week 4
Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Run 3 minutes
  • Walk 90 seconds
  • Run 5 minutes
  • Walk 2 and a half minutes
  • Run 3 minutes
  • Walk 90 seconds
  • Run 5 minutes
Then cool down walk.


Yikes! That means on Monday I'll start running for 16 minutes!!!!!! Granted, it's spaced between walks, but STILL. Kind of crazy! I think I can do it, but I know it will be hard.

One of the things I love about this program is the podcasts that go along with it. It's really nice to be able to run with music, especially when someone is telling you "just one more minute, you can do it! Almost there!!" I listen to Robert Ullrey's podcasts.

For those of you who AREN'T as gimpy as I am about running, there are plenty of interval running programs. Amanda, I think you'd do better with something like Podrunner Intervals, which has podcasts that are great if you can already run a 5k (they also have c25k, but I like Robert Ullrey's better). One is "Gateway to 8K" and one is "Freeway to 10K."

You can download these podcasts to your iPod or other MP3 device. I download them either to my iPod Nano (thanks Monica!!!!) or to my SD card for my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment