Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Naming the blog

I picked "Like the dawn..." because it reminded me of several writings that I enjoy.

To start off, one of my favorite songs is "Jezebel" by Iron & Wine. It's a different take on the biblical story of Jezebel, but my favorite line is "Wait like the dawn, how it aches to meet the day..." This was one of those lines, for me, that just resonated. I wrote it on the inside of journal covers, I sang it out loud, I love this line.... To imagine the dawn aching to meet the day... to image creation in relationship... It always reminded me of waiting to meet the one I was supposed to be with forever, and that ache. The reminder that all creation aches to be redeemed and to be made one with God again. This song was playing on my first date with Bryan... and he kissed me right before "Wait like the dawn..." It seemed perfect.


Dawn is mentioned many times in the Bible. Here are a few of my favorite places.

Psalm 57:7-8

My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make music.

Awake, my soul!
Awake, harp and lyre!
I will awaken the dawn.


I love the idea of worship being so strong and pure and passionate that it has the power to awaken the dawn. That someone would feel God's love so much that they would feel compelled to wake before dawn to worship the Creator... that's awesome to me.


Isaiah 58:6-8

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
and break every yoke?

Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe him,
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.


First of all... this is an amazing verse. To loose the chains of injustice? To set the oppressed free? Yes. That your light will break forth like the dawn? Yes.


So I picked "like the dawn..." I think it's a good start to a new online journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment